Monday, January 5, 2009

On wisdom, or lack thereof

wis·dom
noun
Definition:

1. good sense: the ability to make sensible decisions and judgments based on personal knowledge and experience
2. wise decision: good sense shown in a way of thinking, judgment, or action
3. accumulated learning: accumulated knowledge of life or of a sphere of activity that has been gained through experience
4. opinion widely held: an opinion that almost everyone seems to share or express
5. sayings: ancient teachings or sayings

Ah, wisdom. That good sense, that judgment, that accumulated knowledge gained through experience. According to 18th-century philosopher Edmund Burke: "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." So, surely, one who knows her history would have the good sense and knowledge not to repeat it. By, say, running a 10k night trail run in February and following it up less than 12 hours later with another 10k? Perhaps, in the absence of wisdom, one would simply read this on the Cupid's night 10k trail run flyer and abstain:

Waiver and Release
I understand that trail running at night is hazardous. I know I could break an ankle or take a stick in my eye. I am also aware that if I am not in shape I could have a heart attack or stroke. I realize if I do not pay attention to the superior trail markings I could get lost. In no way do I hold anyone other than myself responsible for my well being during this race.

And yet, I am thinking of running these back-to-back races. At least Edmund Burke has me on this one: "Applaud us when we run, console us when we fall, cheer us when we recover."

No comments: