Saturday, January 24, 2009

Endurathon 25k

WOW, it's not a very good idea to run a VERY hilly 25k (15.5 miles) if you're only really trained up for a flat-and-fast 10 miler. But I did. It also didn't help that there was a steady wind, with 30 mph gusts. Those almost knocked me back down some hills. You know it's hilly when the downhills hurt, too, and the few flat parts seem boring.



The first 12.5 miles were pretty brutal, but went well. Then, when it got flat for a bit, I experienced awful calf/leg cramps. I ran through those for the last 3 miles, walking down hills and frequently stopping to stretch. My time was slow - 2:49:59 - but I wasn't really ready for this race and was just trying to make it to the end.


Speaking of looking w-i-d-e:




(I decided to go without a race belt, so I had gels, paper towels, and my phone (just in case, for this brutal race) stuffed in my front pockets).

When I returned home, I couldn't even nap, because my legs kept cramping for hours. I will have to determine what - besides killer hills - caused that and avoid it for next time!


Thanks to Tom Lake for the pics

No comments: