Tuesday, November 30, 2010

So, I DID beat the Kenyan

Today, I received this message

Dear Affected Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Participants:


Our research indicates you were most likely delayed by the Union Pacific train on race day.

After painstaking review of all timing data gathered from 2010 Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio, we have adjusted your results to account for the amount of time you appeared to have been held up by the train. Your new results have been posted the Results Page on our website.


For the record, we know your exact starting time (to the second) and that the stop gates at the railroad crossing (at .8 miles into the race) were lowered at 7:24:54am and raised at 7:29:37am. To determine your adjusted time, we analyzed your pace for the first 5K (the affected portion) and the second 5K, and assumed that unimpeded you would have run even pace for the first 10K. We then made the necessary adjustment to the first 5K.

(and, surprisingly - all that math is pretty accurate - it's only about 15 seconds different from my timing!)  All that said, I officially beat the lead Kenyan (marathon) runner (while running my half marathon).  Victories - I'll take 'em where I can get 'em!

No comments: