Monday, October 6, 2008

Running scared


The thoughts that flit through your brain when you are running for hours at a time are strange - kind of like dreaming at night. Though this weekend's run was shorter, I kept experiencing thoughts of fear that the hip pain would strike back unexpectedly and I wouldn't be able to make it. So, I started thinking of times when I was afraid to run - like at the start of the Dallas marathon. Then, more frightening, of my times running in Sarajevo. I didn't run that much at the time - maybe 2-3 miles every couple of days. But, starting in Ilidza, I was running on 1.5 foot wide "trails" with mine tape (like caution tape-indicating there were probably blow-you-to-pieces mines on the other side of the plastic tape) on either side. At Butmir, I'd run the perimeter of the base and 1 wild dog would start following me, I'd run a little faster, then it was 3 wild dogs, and, by the time I'd hit a full sprint, there was a pack on my heels and I was wishing I'd grabbed my weapon before setting out.

Those times would have made for great ugly pics, but alas, I have none. There's the unit pic, though - I'm third from the left in front. Sure makes 13.4 miles in the city seem easier!

No comments: