Monday, July 14, 2008

Uglier and uglier

Well, it certainly was ugly running to and from work on Saturday. My plan was to leave the house at 0530, thereby getting into work around 0630, working until 1030, and getting back on the road before the cruel, cruel sun was high above. Not a bad plan. Then, the snooze button attacked relentlessly on Saturday morning. I headed out around 0830 and was stuck under the cruel, cruel sun for the return trip at 1330 (1:30 pm - yeah, hot). Not a good plan. And Gretch, not a plan I'll likely repeat, especially on a Monday!

I made it, though, and saved myself a whopping 1/4 gallon of gas. Upon arriving home, I kicked Gwen out of the kiddie pool and cooled off. No pictures - it just would have been too ugly.

Speaking of bad ideas and ugly, at 9 pm this Friday, I will attempt Los Chupacabras de la noche 10k trail run. Here is the prerace report from buddy and sometimes dog-sitter, Jenna:

"Two Fridays ago, Bill (race director) and 4 other guys ran the course & one of them sprained his ankle. This Friday, 5 guys running the course & Pete whacked a branch with his head & got 14 stitches. This is a 20% injury rate, which means statistically that of 80 participants registered, there will be 16 (or more since it’ll be dark this time) people hurt themselves. I plan on only jog/walking this course. But it’ll be fun fun fun!"

Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone gets a stick in the eye. I'll definitely get a pic of that one!

No comments: