Sunday, March 13, 2011

Prickly Pear 10 mile/50k trail run

Um, yeah, I definitely ran the 10 mile and not the 50k. I always volunteer for this race and, this year, I decided to tackle the 10 miles of trails.  I'm not sure why I've been running so many trail runs this year - it really needs to stop, since I am not a very good trail runner.  Today, I got my butt beaten by a gal over 70 y/o - but not by much and at least I didn't fall down.  Yep, I celebrate the little things. 

I arrived at the park around 6 a.m. to help set up aid station #1.  Here is the station crew, in our annual port-a-potty prerace pic.


The 50k crazies started at 7:00 a.m. so, after they passed our stop the first of three times, I headed over to the start for the 8:30 not-so-crazy one-loop 10 mile start.  (and I was already yawning)


This run is less technical than the goat trails of Paesano's 8 miler a couple of weeks ago, but the last time I ran these trails (in November), I fell, gave myself a black eye, and separated my right shoulder.  Like I said, I am not a very talented trail runner.  So, I took it easy, and had a nice run.

A deer ran with me for a little bit, but did not charge me like the mean deer did to a guy on Thanksgiving.  Here's the finish, where I cruised in on the tail of the 70+ y/o female - eating her dust and looking like a crazy trail running chicken. 

And then I ate a rice/pico de gallo taco, drank an Alamo Ale, and headed back to aid station #1 to help feed/cheer those bloody, dusty, crazy 50k runners.  Thanks to Jenna, Tom Lake, and Jazzy for the pics!

No comments: