Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Did I say tired?

Yes, so tired that I passed up on races this weekend.  Really.  And they were cool ones, too - the Dam 09 Sprint Tri just around the corner from my shack and the Jalapeno del Sol 10k trail run at McAllister Park.  But, it's the end of the fiscal year, so with overtime and everything else, I was beat and did not run anything fun.

Instead, I awoke at about 0330 on Sunday, hit the road at 0445, and ran my first 5 miles solo in the dark in 'cool' 70s temperatures.  Then, I jumped in with Fleet Feet for a hilly 15 miles.  Unfortunately, at my mile 14/15 (their 9/10), I followed the runners in front of me and got off course.  Which meant that I added on 2 miles and blew the water stop, since I didn't make it there in time.  Luckily, my miles 15.5-20 were through Alamo Heights and Olmos Park, so I knew where to find water and could navigate a cutoff of about 2 miles on the route, hit the final water stop, and get back on the route. 

At the finish back at Fleet Feet, Garmin read 19.8.  Normally, I'm not anal on distances - if it's 16.7, it's a 17 miler, etc., but I wanted the dang Garmin to read 20.  Period.  So I ran the parking lot until I hit 20.01 miles.  Ridiculous, I know.  Especially since, last year, both of my 20 milers were busts, and I ran my best marathon.

This week is only 35 miles, so I'm going to try to get more sleep and maybe a massage, if the rest of life does not get in the way.  But it looks like it will, so I'm just going to concentrate on trying to get more sleep.  After I finish typing this. 

No comments: