Sunday, March 21, 2010

Beaten by the dogs

You will know this is going to be a pathetic back-to-back race weekend report when I tell you upfront that I was beaten by two different chihuahuas in two races in two days.  SIGH.

I awoke at 0530 on Saturday to lightning, thunder, rain, and hail.  Excellent day for a race.  So, I moved to the couch, closed my eyes, and hoped that it would be sunny and bright in an hour.  After about an hour, I was awakened by a slobbering, shaking, Dingo dog (she doesn't like thunder and had escaped the dogroom).  The hail had abated, but not the rain, wind, and cold.  But I was preregistered, so I headed to the park for the Shamrock Shuffle 5k.  The race was actually delayed for 30 minutes for the weather to clear - it did, somewhat, and we ran through puddles in drizzle and rain.  Somewhere around mile 1, I was passed by a chihuahua wearing a pink 'dress' with a tutu.  BIG SIGH.  Afterward, we drank stout and pale ale (to ward off the chill).  At least the dog didn't get any beer - ha.

On Sunday, I awoke for the Run Wild for Brainpower 5k - still chilly, but no rain.  It was a nice race at the University of the Incarnate Word, but my legs were a little dead, and I finished over a minute slower than Saturday's race.  This time, I was AGAIN passed around mile 1.5 by a different chihuahua, garbbed in UIW red and black.  At least we matched?

After the race, I toweled off and headed downtown to the Southwest School of Art & Craft for the Empty Bowls Event benefitting the SAMM shelter.  I bought some nice handmade bowls and enjoyed gulf shrimp bisque, lobster bisque, and fresh bread (and brought home some buttermilk heirloom tomato bisque for tomorrow).  And then I rested - I need my rest in order to launch my comeback against those little mutts.

Thanks to IAAP for the pics!

No comments: