Wednesday, December 30, 2009

PanCan Purple Stride

This is my friend, Pete.  He is fighting pancreatic cancer again.  He will win again.


When she's not rescuing animals, training dogs, gardening, working, reading, running, cycling, doing a kazillion other things, or helping Pete through treatment, Pete's wife (and my friend), Jenna, is my personal photographer.  She does not know this.  Sometimes all that other stuff gets in the way of being my personal photographer - so these pics are a little delayed, but much appreciated.

This was the Pancreatic Cancer Purple Stride 5k at one of my alma maters - St. Mary's University - on November 7.  It was a great run.  My slow post-marathon finish time netted me 3rd in my age group and I won a $50 gift certificate to a wine bar as a door prize.  Good haul!

Before the race:







And during the run, thinking "dang, I just ran a marathon two weeks ago"

Caught getting some post-race beverages - Jenna is like the paparazzi.


And Wally with Diesel, my dog Gwen's "twin."  


I first met these two about a year and a half ago, when I queasily crossed the zoo run finish line.  I thought "why does that guy have my dog?  why is Gwen not home where I left her? when did Gwen get so buff?  and WHEN did she, um, grow balls?"  (I HAD just tried to run 2 miles as fast as I could in San Antonio in the Summer, mind you. And, look, they are pretty similar - Gwen's the one on the left!)




See?  Anyway, next up is the Cobweb Chaser on New Year's Day.  Mercifully, gun time is 10:00 a.m.

Thanks to Jenna for the pics!  And fight, Pete, fight :)

No comments: