Monday, October 7, 2013

Catching up while I'm fu-ed

So, I had been pretty busy and did not get a chance to post the last few weeks' ugly race pics.  "Luckily," some "nice" folks in Congress decided not to do their jobs, and I got furloughed.  Exciting, no?  An unexpected vacation - I could travel, finish projects like painting, even take on a part-time job....but, no, no, and no.  I don't get paid, and, under my contract, I can't work at most other places, if they'd even hire me short (I hope) term.  So, instead, I am catching up on sleep and trying to check anything "free" off my to do list - which includes posting ugly race pics. 

So - here we go...On September 8, I ran the Scallywompus 10K at McAllister park.  It was hot and sweaty...and ugly:

Lots of starting pics of the crazy running chicken:



 During the run - trying to look like a real runner


After the finish - sweaty running chicken

And then, thirsty running chicken




The next weekend, I ran back-to-back races.  First up was the Partnership 5k, which consisted of 3 laps around the AlamoDome.  If you recall, that's how I used to add mileage during training runs for the Dallas Whiterock marathon - so, I was having flashbacks.  Which is my excuse for this ugly finish pic:

That just LOOKS painful.  But, since it was a nice, small race (and there were about 8 other races in San Antonio that day) - TA DA - 2nd Masters overall.  For real.
I won't lie - both of those guys lapped me on my second lap.  But the bling was HUGE:
The next day, I ran the Gusto 8 mile race from the Valero trailhead, but did not earn any medals.


And, dragging into the finish
 puro pollo loco

Next up, on September 28, was the SNIPSA Race for the Rescues 5k.  I normally alternate dogs for this race, since they conspire to kill me when I run/walk with them together; however, I tricked Laura into herding Gwen.  Before I could find Laura, though, they took me out (luckily, on the grass), Dingo slipped her harness, and they mooned the camera.


baddogs.  But, I found Laura and we got ready to 'race.'
 I like this shot - everyone looks nice, and I look like a contortionist, trying to make my spastic dogs look at the camera:

baddogs.
By 'race,' I mean:  take off at break-neck speed, stopping suddenly to poop (Gwen, NOT Laura and I), until we get to the first aid station for a swim in every dogpool (Gwen, NOT Laura, Dingo, and I), then slow to a trot, then another swim at the next aid station, and then drag into the finish at a slow walk.  But, we finished in under an hour, so that's a Gwen & Dingo PR, I think.

Gwen and Dingo were really in love with these huge 'dogs'
(I taught Dingo everything she knows about photobombing)
And then we went home and napped HARD - Dingo even slept through thunder.

Then, I got furloughed and diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on Tuesday, October 1.  It was a pretty crappy day.  But I ran the SARR Members only 15k in New Braunfels on October 6.  A cool front had come through the night before, and it was a rare, cool, Autumn race.
And I'm off - and 9ish miles later...

 rounding the last bend, heading up the hill
 my "crazy running chicken runs up a hill" pose

and pretending this is easy, peasy, when my training has been pathetic.  But I finished and ate a taco.




 It wasn't a very good taco, which is why I was holding onto it for such a long time.  I finally ditched the taco and posed with my buddies Jim and Scottydog



And there you have it - about a month of ugly race pics.  So, on my furlough to do list, I can cross off "update blog" and move on to "scrape the shower scum."  Fun times - but at least running helps (somewhat) to fight off the furlough fog.  Now, write to your Congressfolks and tell them to stop sitting on their brains.






No comments: