Monday, August 2, 2010

Race withdrawal and contemplating kharma

Yes, it's been weeks since I've posted - or raced.  But believe me, it has been a crazy couple of weeks.  I visited with my family in Nantucket, which was a wonderful trip, punctuated with nice, cool runs and random acts of kindness by strangers.  Here's our wild bunch.


In the meantime, and in other news, a friend's house was pretty much decimated by the flooding in Milwaukee, and a good friend and awesome athlete lost his 4+ year battle with pancreatic cancer.  That's just not fair. Bad things shouldn't happen to good people.  I wish there were some way to trade in the undeserved acts of kindness I received this past week for the bad things that happened to buddies, but I guess that a last-flight-out seat and a first-class seat just don't trade off with the sadness visited on Tim and Pete and their families. 

It still isn't fair.  So, I'm just going to run - a lot.  I don't have many future races planned this month, but then, it's August, it's San Antonio, and that means that both the heat and humidity are (at least) in the high 90s.  But, the training schedule calls for 40ish mile weeks, so I'll spend this weekend with an 8 miler and a 17 miler.  Very romantic, I know. In between, perhaps for a bit of inspiration and hand up from my melancholy, I'll also be attending Doug's Post-Badwater Celebration - he rocked the 135 mile trail run from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in July.

So, please think good thoughts for Jose, who put me on the last plane to Nantucket, Mr. Patrizio, who gave me his first class seat from Newark to San Antonio, Tim, who is working to rebuild his house with a newborn baby, Pete, who fought the hard fight but lost to cancer, and Doug, who ran a helluva race in a helluva a place and can't wait to tell everyone about it.

And, if you want to do more good, consider making donations to:

Teecycle for Tim Cigelske's family (buy a shirt, donate a shirt, make a donation, or attend the fundraiser at Sprecher Brewery)
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (in memory of Pete Vandermey)
The Lustgarten Foundation (in memory of Pete Vandermey for Pancreatic Cancer Research)
The Fistula Foundation (Doug's charity for which he ran the Badwater Ultra and raised money)

No comments: