Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Not really.  But my performance at the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon was the middle of times.  It was my second worst marathon finish - or my third best.  It was a fairly solid 4:45:24 for me.  I ran it with my sister, Gretchen, who smoked it in 4:12, cutting more than 30 minutes off her PR!  It was a twee bit chilly for me, but was actually good running weather.  However, around mile 17.5, something popped in my right foot, so I was running crooked for the rest of the race.  At first, I thought that something broke, but, now that the swelling and discoloration has reduced, I'm going to diagnose myself with an official not-broken foot (signed, Sally, fake MD).  (and then I'm going to run the Texas Med Clinic Half Marathon this weekend - or hobble it).  Here are some of my paparazzi (Dad's) pics:

Before with Gretchen (I'm only looking confident and warm because I'm half-asleep and inside the house)

Yep, crazy running chicken marathon runner.  my right foot had just audibly POPPED and caused serious pain - the chick in the blue diagnosed me with neuroma about 1/2 mile down the road (at mile 18).

 but I did shake a little crazy chicken off and kept going


and going

Meanwhile, Gretchen was making the finish look easy 

but it is hard

but if you keep puting one foot in front of the other, you get to the finish





 and then you freeeeeze. 
and then you eat 
and then you celebrate (with Mom and paparazziDad - across the lake from the finish line)


and all for this...



It really was a nice, albeit cold, run along Milwaukee's lakeshore with my sister and family.  And now, I ice my foot, drink a glass of wine, chow on some WI cheese curds, and start contemplating my next marathon.

Thanks to Dad for the pics!  Thanks to Gretch for another great run!




1 comment:

Steve said...

Congratulatrions, Sally! Any marathon finish is amazing. I'm just sorry that we didn't get to see each other. I can't believe that you're running a half marathon this weekend. I haven't run since the marathon, and don't plan to until Monday. I want to give my legs enough time to recover before heading out again.