Sunday, November 15, 2009

Worst Half Marathon

I will have to double-check, but I'm sure that was my worst or close-to-worst half marathon performance at the Rock N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon this morning. I felt strong enough at the beginning, but my body started letting me know that I just ran a marathon 3 weeks ago and it was not happy. It probably did not help that the start time temperature was warm and humidity was 98-99%, depending on which news program you watched. And I knew it was not going to be a great run when I was already ready to bag it at mile 4. Usually, I can "reset" myself, despite leg cramps, fatigue, etc. (and here, nausea and abdominal cramps to top it off), by pretending that a new race is beginning at the next mile marker or halfway point. However, my body was not fooled by the ploy this time, and I just had to run it in the best I could suffering from the problems above. Which was certainly not very good at all.


I also play a game at the end of the half marathon where I try to beat the top (ELITE) marathon runners to the finish. Yes, I know, they ran twice the distance, but I still try to beat them - they do not know about this 'game.' Anyway, I usually 'win' at this one, but today, I was passed by at least the top two males (Kenya) and the top US male with 1-2 miles left, and I finished alongside the #2 female (Russia). Which meant that many people were seemingly cheering my finish. I, however, was not.

I'm disappointed in my run and need to figure out what is causing my now-chronic leg cramps, but the run is in the books. And it will surely provide a myriad (yes, literally tens of thousands) of ugly pics. Because that was what it was, straight ugly.

 

No comments: